Subject: The BIG decision!
From: Blackout <[email-masked]>
To: Eugene Kosarovich <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 1995 12:24:37 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 10 Aug 1995, Eugene Kosarovich wrote:

> One thing I wanted to mention after seeing the letter you forwarded from J.
>  David Johnson:
> 
> You do need a high quality deck for playing to and recording from the Flyer. 
>  Don't waste your money on a cheap deck.  And you should definately send the
>  signal through a TBC first.
> 
> Eugene
> 

I will be usinf mostly BetaSP with some Hi8 and Super VHS work. I am doing
a show for television called Blackout's Box which is a comedy/sketch show
about a 20 something weirdo outcast.  PLus I will be doing work for 
clients who want HIGH QUALITY stuff which is why I'm using beta SP, this
is stuff that will be sold and played on actual tv networks so it has to 
be the best quality it can be.  The one thing that worries me is some of 
the toasters cheaper effects and manipulation of DVEs.. the toasters 
effects are easily recongnized as toaster effects.
 
I am in a big struggle with my self right now as to whether I should buy
a toaster/flyer system or the Aladdin package for IBM pentium.
In the end.. they will come out to about the same price but I get the non 
linear editing with the toaster/flyer route.. or I get the really slick 
professional looking switcher with the Aladdin route. With the Aladdin's 
switcher you can program your own transitions.  You can do real time logo 
fly ins and spins and all sorts of stuff that you just can't do with the 
toaster.  Basically.. the toaster allows you to put nice looking graphics 
you made with the framestore OVER your video, but you can't manipulate 
them like you can with Aladdin.  PLus Aladdin has a true chroma key.. not
a cheap luminance keyer.
 
But.. I am used to the toaster and I like lightwave.. I like the
CG quality and what not.. I'm trying to decide the best way to go.
There is no chroma effects or decent 3D program or non linear editing
with Aladdin.
 
Is there anything else out there to consider?  If the toaster just had
better real time video scaling and the "make your own transition" 
programing that Aladdin had, I would choose the toaster.  But Aladdin's
switcher is just really really nicer than the toasters.  But then I don't 
have lightwave 3D and I don't have chroma effects..  and I like the Amiga 
OS way better than running something under windows. 
 
Let me know what you think - this goes to anybody familiar with video 
systems who is reading this.
 
Also.. what are the best decks to go as far as Hi8 and super VHS?
 
There are these little cheap $500 Hi8 decks from sony that look just as 
good to me as the big $1350 decls but they don't have the digital sound 
insert and all that.  I might buy them as playback decks.
As far as super VHS.. all I can think of is the Ag 1970 panisonic..
Is there anything that has the jog shuttle and editing freatures.. etc..
that is better video quality than this?  At a good price.. I don't want
to pay beta prices for a S- VHS decks.. because some S VHS deck prices are
really ridiculous and the quality doesn't even seem that much better.
 
[email-masked]

--
Blackout <[email-masked]> sent this message.
To Post a Message           : [email-masked]
Un/Subscription Requests To : [email-masked]
(DIGEST)                 or : [email-masked]
Administrative Items To     : [email-masked]